COS provides complementary services and facilities in order to accommodate all experimental studies and meet potential challenges before applying omic sciences.
In- vitro models
COS provides robust systems-biology since we have developed in- vitro models for screening biological activities of new bioactives, drug candidates, cosmetics and/or chemicals.
COS has developed, optimized in-vitro models (eg adipocytes, fibroblasts, macrophages, endothelial, hepatocytes, myocites) at your disposal and the ability to prepare a new cell line to quickly provide you with a view of the effect of the molecule at a molecular and cellular level.
To complement these studies, we have a digestive model for analyzing the biotransformation of substances and for implementing very high resolution bioavailability studies by means of metabolomic equipment.
In- vivo models
COS also performs in-vivo studies with various animal models in order to obtain data on tissues, organs and complex biological systems.
- Studies of genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics in biofluids and cells from various tissues, also in PBMCs (Peripheral blood mononuclear, pluripotent characteristics) which are useful to obtain data reflecting the behaviour of any organ in response to a bioactive (natural or not) and extrapolated to humans.
- Studies on the effects of bioactives and their mechanism of action for preventing obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and other risk factors for metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease, using:
- Zucker Rats
- Wistar rats
- Hamsters (own dyslipidemia developed model)
- Toxicity studies (according to OCDE recommendations)
The data from in- vitro and in- vivo assays on experimental models are essential but often, the success of scientific approach will heavily rely on proven efficacy in well-controlled intervention studies with human volunteers.
The omics application in human samples provides a properly integrated essential data set through bioinformatic tools, allowing us to a build a scientific metabolic explanation of the effect and behaviour of the biology system and its action mechanism.
COS has the knowledge and facilities to design and coordinate controlled, randomized, prospective studies in collaboration with a consolidated health network with vast experience in performing these studies.
- Human clinical trials, design and execution
- Capacity to develop residential and non-residential studies
- Metabolic Kitchen and chilled food storage
- Dining room
- Medical Room
- Medical Laboratory (Biological Samples Analysis)
- Interview and Screening rooms
The nutritional intervention studies are designed in compliance with European regulations and with ethics for good practices while observational studies are designed according to the Strobe statement.